when unusually heavy rainstorms struck Placer County, many homes and businesses were affected. Even Squaw Valley, which had to replace and upgrade part of their water system over the summer. These upgrades were done to the High Camp and Gold Coast areas and resulted in some rather unfortunate contaminations.
However, the contaminants – E. coli and coliform bacteria – were found during Squaw Valley’s routine maintenance, and were reported immediately to all pertinent authorities, as well as other experts in the field.
Immediate action has led to vast improvements, leading officials at Squaw Valley to believe that the issues will be resolved quickly. They have released statements assuring guests that at no time was the contaminated water available to guests. They have also made it clear that they are going above and beyond what is necessary to make the water safe for drinking again.
Liesl Kenney, a spokesperson for Squaw Valley, assured all those who may have concerns that they, “have taken steps to address the issue and will continue to do so until the water system has returned to normal levels…” and that, “the safety of our customers [is] paramount to us.”
In the meantime, many parts of Squaw Valley remain open including top-to-bottom skiing, and guests are welcome to stay – as long as they don’t drink the water. Restaurants on the mountain top also remained closed until this issue has been resolved. Bottled drinking water has been provided to guests free of charge so that they can continue to enjoy their time at Squaw Valley.